BEST AND DELICIOUS CHRISTMAS CAKE
THIS CAKE IS A RICH, DARK, MOIST FRUIT CAKE, VERY FLAVORFUL AT CHRISTMAS. TRY ICING WITH ALMOND PASTE FOR A MORE FESTIVE TOUCH. THIS RECIPE IS STARTED IN OCTOBER OR NOVEMBER SO AS TO LET IT MELLOW BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS.
I remember very well my mother storing her fruit cake in an old butter churn that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother. I wish that I had that old crock.
- 2 (8 ounce) containers candied cherries
- 1 (8 ounce) container candied mixed citrus peel
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 (2.25 ounce) packages blanched slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- In a medium bowl, combine cherries, citrus peel, raisins, currants, dates, and almonds. Stir in brandy; let stand 2 hours, or overnight. Dredge soaked fruit with 1/2 cup flour.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Grease an 8x8x3 inch fruit cake pan, line with parchment paper, and grease again. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cloves, allspice, cinnamon, and salt; set aside …