FETTUCCINE IN CREAM, TOMATO & BASIL SAUCE
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper (about 7 grinds on a mill)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 cup finely shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound fettuccine or linguini
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut each tomato into slices (do not peel). With your fingers, remove seeds and discard. Dice the remaining tomato slice. Place the tomatoes in a sieve over a bowl, sprinkle with salt and let drain for at least 30 minutes. (This step can be done well ahead of time.)
- In a large saucepan, bring some salted water to a boil.
- While the pasta water is heating up – in a large cast-iron skillet, heat the butter and sprinkle with flour. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and let simmer until the cream is reduced by about 1/3rd or until it coats the back of spoon dipped into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Then add garlic and basil and set aside.
- Add the fettuccine to the boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain and add to the cream mixture in the skillet.
- Place the skillet over low heat, heating the fettuccine in the sauce without letting the sauce come back to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the drained diced tomatoes and the fresh parsley. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve immediately.