PERFECT PEACH CREAM PUFFS
1 cream puff with 1/4 cup whipped cream and 2 tablespoons filling: 256 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 medium peaches, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup peach schnapps liqueur or peach nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons peach schnapps liqueur, optional
- Additional confectioners’ sugar…
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a rolling boil. Add flour all at once and beat until blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring vigorously until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms a ball. Transfer dough to a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Cut a 1/2-in. hole in tip of a pastry bag. Transfer dough to bag; pipe sixteen 2-in. mounds 3 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 25-30 minutes or until puffed, very firm and golden brown. Pierce side of each puff with tip of a knife to allow steam to escape. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine filling ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened and peaches are tender. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar and, if desired, peach schnapps; beat until soft peaks form …