“Chicken breasts seasoned with paprika, lemon pepper, and garlic powder are slow cooked with white wine, sour cream, mushrooms, and cream of mushroom soup in this easy-to-prepare recipe that cooks while you go about your day.”
BEST MUSHROOM CHICKEN IN SOUR CREAM SAUCE
This creamy baked chicken and mushroom dish may remind you of chicken paprikash, a Hungarian specialty of chicken and onions in a sour cream sauce seasoned with paprika. This recipe features mushrooms instead of onions. When combined with the sour cream, it is reminiscent of the casseroles popular in the 1970s, creating a cozy baked chicken dish that will satisfy your comfort food craving.
Depending on which type of paprika you use, the flavor of the dish can range from mild to hot. Most supermarkets carry the mild paprika, which may be from Spain, California, South America or Hungary. If you’d like a stronger seasoning you can find the more pungent varieties in ethnic markets.
You can keep this recipe basic by using white button mushrooms, or you can make it a bit more interesting by choosing shiitake or baby bellas. The creamy sauce makes this dish ideal when served over hot cooked rice or egg noodles.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- Mix the salt, pepper, paprika, lemon pepper, and garlic powder together in a bowl; rub evenly onto all sides of the chicken breasts. Place the seasoned chicken into the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, white wine, and mushrooms to the slow cooker …