EASY SALISBURY STEAK WITH MUSHROOM GRAVY
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (white, brown or yellow)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5oz/150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1lb/500g ground beef (i.e. beef mince)
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (or ⅓ cup ordinary breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crumbled
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp dijon mustard OR 2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until onions are translucent. Remove half the onions into a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook mushrooms for 2 minutes. Transfer into a medium bowl.
- Add the Salisbury Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined – don’t over mix.
- Divide into 5 and pat into oval patties around ¾” / 1⅔ cm thick.
- If your skillet is looking dry, add a splash of oil. Heat over high heat, then add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside).
- Take the skillet off the stove and transfer steaks onto a plate. Turn the heat down to medium low.
- Return skillet to the stove and add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds …