BEST BAKED ONION RINGS
- 4 cups buttermilk, divided (you can make your own for equal success)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan (don’t add more or the onion rings might stick to the pan)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow sweet onions, sliced ¼-to-1/2-inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place parchment paper onto 2 baking sheets and set aside.
- In a large Ziploc bag, add the onions and 2 cups of the buttermilk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but an hour is ideal. Flip bag occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, paprika, cayenne, and 2 teaspoons salt. In another bowl or shallow dish, whisk together the remaining 2 cups of buttermilk and eggs. Add half of the flour mixture to the buttermilk and beat until smooth and thickened …